Wednesday 15 April 2015

Feminism




What is feminism?

When I first joined Tumblr, I started to see posts about feminism. I'd always thought of feminists as scary old ladies with pitch forks who wanted to take over the world, but I soon realised that that couldn't be further from the truth. A feminist is someone who believes that men and women deserve equal rights. Everyone's a feminist. Or at least you should be.


Why is feminism important?

Throwback to when women weren't allowed to vote, work, and just got given a husband that they had to obey for the rest of their life. When you think about it like that, we've come a long way. But women are still far from equal. Some women get paid less than men for doing exactly the same job. Some women are refused jobs simply because they are women. Some women are taught from birth that anything they do that isn't 'ladylike' is bad, but men can do whatever they want because 'boys will be boys'. Feminism is one of the most talked about topics in the world right now, and it needs to stay that way until women are allowed to do exactly what they want.


Why am I a feminist?

Apart from the obvious reason that everyone should consider themselves a feminist, I've never really had a 'life changing' moment where I've become determined to join the fight for women's rights. However, all my life I've picked up on little things people say. "Don't sit like that, it's not ladylike. Don't wear that, boys won't like it. Don't buy that, it's from the mens section." Have you ever noticed how girls in schools aren't allowed to wear things that are too revealing because it might distract boys? Have you ever noticed how girls clothes are made to be more see-through than boys? It annoys me. And it's not fair. Feminism means equality, and everyone deserves equality.


Everyone should be a feminist.

Are you?

2 comments:

  1. I loved this! Thank you so much, and also, your view of feminists with pitchforks made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete