Sunday 12 October 2014

A Week in New York City

Hello.

I visited NYC for a week in April, and since then I've been completely obsessed with it. I thought today I'd go through my favourite parts of the amazing city, and hopefully inspire a few of you to add it to your bucket list.

Things To Do

The Staten Island Ferry (with a view of The Statue of Liberty)
The first thing we did was get on the Staten Island ferry from Manhattan to (believe it or not) Staten Island. It was amazing to see the view of the famous skyline as the boat drove away from the island, and the main highlight was seeing the Statue of Liberty, something we weren't prepared to go to its separate island to see as there was nothing else on there.



Times Square (at night)
Times Square is absolutely amazing, especially in the evening when the lights light up the whole area. It's hard to fully take in the beauty of it because of how busy everything is, but if one place had to sum up New York City, it'd definitely be Times Square.



Empire State Building  (at night)
The highlight of my trip was definitely watching the sun set from the top of the Empire State Building. Although it's not the tallest building in NYC, the view from the top of the ESB is incredible, and we even saw Barack Obama's car drive through the city, followed by about 10 security cars (I was excited, I love Barack).


Top of the Rock (in the day)
The view from the Rockefeller Centre was absolutely amazing, since you could see lots of the famous landmarks, including the Empire State Building & Central Park. I'd recommend doing this in the day, though, so you can see the view of Central Park.


9/11 Memorial
The 9/11 Memorial is surprisingly quiet considering it's in the middle of Lower Manhattan, and this all adds to the moving atmosphere. I'm very lucky to have been here, and it's a beautiful memorial to everyone who lost their lives in the World Trade Centre. It really opens your eyes to the size of the buildings, and the thousands of lives lost.



Central Park
Only when you visit Central Park do you realise how huge it actually is. There's so many different parts of it, and in our 3 hour tour we only saw about 1 third of the park. I'd definitely recommend a tour of Central Park because you'd probably get lost otherwise. We booked a tour with http://www.cityroverwalks.com and were given a tour by Max (and a Landmark Buildings tour with Rodney), and I'd recommend them to anyone visiting New York.





Places To Eat

Wendy's
To American people, this would be the equivalent of recommending McDonalds, but since I'm English, I was really excited to try a Wendy's. Even though it's hardly restaurant standard, for anyone who's not American, Wendy's is a must.

Grimaldi's
Located at the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge, Grimaldi's Pizzeria is one of the most famous pizzerias in New York. I expected it to be that fancy pizza that I don't really like, but it was honestly really good. Although we had to queue for about half an hour to get in. Booking a table would be quite a good idea.

Pershing Square
We went here for breakfast before our Landmark Building tour (the one with Rodney), and it was so nice. It's opposite Grand Central Station, and all the food was lovely (well all the food I tried).

Dunkin' Donuts
Dunkin' Donuts is hardly a meal, but I absolutely loved the donuts here.


I hope you enjoyed this post, as I've been planning it for quite a while and was really excited to finally post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment